As a solution provider, you know that document management software has the potential to address many of your customers’ objectives. By getting paperwork under control, document management software can help companies increase efficiency, improve customer service capabilities and meet regulatory compliance requirements. But before you begin adding document management to your proposals, you need to choose a vendor partner whose software you stand by.
Here are seven things to look for when selecting document management software to add to your solution portfolio:
- Wide breadth of file support – The more files a solution supports, the better. Look for document management software that is compatible with virtually all of your customers’ files. The system should also enable users to view any supported file regardless of whether the original application is installed on the system. This will ensure that your customers realize a return on investment and that they get the full benefit of using a document management solution.
- Deployable in several environments – Few companies run strictly on Windows. A document management system that can be deployed in Windows, Linux (SuSe/Red Hat) and other environments gives you a bigger market to sell into and gives your customers greater flexibility.
- Modern storage technology – The need for additional storage can add to the cost of a document management system. Look for a solution that helps reduce file sizes to limit the impact on storage costs. Software that uses the most current and proven compression technologies can store files significantly smaller than competitive products.
- Ease of use – The idea behind document management software is to improve workflows and overall productivity. In order for your customers to reap these benefits, the solution must be easy to use. Choose a document management vendor whose software is intuitive and flexible. The system should look and function like software employees are already accustomed to, and offer several ways to import documents. These features will lower training costs and ensure organization-wide adoption.
- Security – Security should be top-of-mind when selecting document management software. After all, the system will be handling some of your customers’ most precious assets. Choose a document management vendor that makes security a priority. The solution should offer security features and capabilities throughout the system; for example, encryption at the page and document levels (with the latter being optional), access determined by the administrator for every level of the software, print-screen prevention and audit trail capabilities.
- Access from anywhere – Companies are increasingly looking for ways to enable their employees to work anytime, anywhere from a mobile device. A document management solution can help. Look for software that allows your customers’ employees to access company files from their smartphones and tablets.
- Built-in support and integrations – Document management software that leverages existing hardware and software investments will increase your customer’s return on investment. Look for a vendor that provides built-in support and integrations along with easily implemented custom integrations for mission-critical applications. At a minimum, integration and support should include TWAIN compatible scanners, ISIS compatible scanners, Microsoft Office integration and forms processing software integration.
Document management software can be a powerful addition to your solutions portfolio. Keep the criteria above in mind when evaluating vendors’ offerings, and you’ll find a solution that enables you to address your customers’ most pressing needs – all by getting their paperwork under control.
About the Author:
Leave a Comment